Tomorrow morning, Jessa & I are on our way to Austin Texas for a week of everything-geek at the SXSW Interactive festival. It’s our opportunity to brush shoulders with some of the web’s most recognizable celwebrities. Oh, and our state’s very own.
It’s a godsend that both Jess and I are in related fields (web development & design, respectively), and were both approved to go to this conference independently. Not that there won’t be some serious education going on (see the panels I’m attending below), but we’re definitely looking forward to a relaxing getaway in a hip town. Did I mention we’re staying at the Four Seasons?
I’m most excited about putting some real faces with the names I’ve grown so familiar with in all of my web browsing/reading. There’re probably 50 familiar names sitting in on panels and keynotes, as well as a bunch more just doing the attendees thing with the rest of us. I hope we get the chance to do some networking and make some connections for future years at the conference.
Oh, and we’re excited for sushi. And nuclear tacos as well.
After each day’s panels, there are some fab evening events hosted by notable companies: Google, Adobe, frog design, and the Yahoo! smorgasboard, each with their own (complimentary) culinary and entertainment delights.
Well check out these panels that I’ll be sitting in on:
Saturday, March 11
- 10:00 am: Traditional Design and New Technology
- 11:30 am: How to Be A Web Design Superhero
- 11:30 am: Ajax: What Do I Need to Know?
- 2:00 pm: Jim Coudal & Jason Fried Opening Remarks
- 3:30 pm: How to Bluff Your Way in DOM Scripting
- 5:00 pm: Tantek Celik Presentation: Creating Building Blocks for Independents
Sunday, March 12
- 10:00 pm: What’s Hot in Web Applications
- 11:30 pm: The Future of Education in a Digitally Convergent World
- 2:00 pm: Keynote Conversation: Heather Armstrong / Jason Kottke
- 3:30 pm: Everyware: The Dawning Age of Ubiquitous Computing
- 5:00 pm: Holistic Web Design: Finding the Creative Balance in Multi-Disciplined Teams
Monday, March 13
- 10:00 am: CSS Problem Solving
- 11:30 am: Microformats: Evolving the Web
- 2:00 pm: Craig Newmark Keynote Interview
- 3:30 pm: WTF: WaSP Task Force Panel
- 5:00 pm: Design Eye for the List Guy
Tuesday, March 14
- 10:00 am: How to Convince Your Company to Embrace Web Standards
- 11:30 am: Designing the Next Generation of Web Apps
- 2:00 pm: Burnie Burns Keynote
- 3:30 pm: Dogma Free Design
- 5:00 pm: Bruce Sterling Presentation: The State of the World
My only regret is that I haven’t put in more time in getting my website up-to-speed. I started this redesign project about a year ago, and at the time I thought it would take a few months, but Jessa’s proven to be a worthy distraction and I’ve let things like this slip far too behind on me. It’d be nice to refer people I meet here, but with it in this constant disarray, nyeh eh.
Anyway, since the world’s most prolific bloggers will be descending on Austin over the next several days, I’m going to be prepared to blog a few times, since, eh… it’ll be the thing to do.